An indulgent gluten free side dish, dauphinoise potatoes can make any meal feel special. We often have them alongside roast meat or steak, accompanied with tenderstem broccoli.
Gluten Free Dauphinoise Potatoes (Serves 2)
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeling and cut into thin slices (0.5cm thick)
- 400ml double cream
- A knob of butter
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- Take a small round, deep oven dish or casserole dish and grease the edges lightly with butter.
- Layer the potatoes in the dish, leaving a little space from the top of the potato stack and the edge of the oven dish.
- Finely mince the cloves of garlic, mix with cream, a good grating of nutmeg and salt and pepper. Stir well to ensure the garlic is evenly distributed throughout the sauce.
- Pour cream mix over potato layers – it should sink down into the gaps and reach the top of the potatoes, so they are nicely covered. A few bits of potato poking out is fine, but if the whole top layer is exposed then you can add some more cream or milk to stop them from drying out during cooking.
- Then bake the dauphinoise potatoes at 180C for 45 minutes or until the potatoes all feel soft when tested with a knife. Then, enjoy!